This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Emma Schleipfer 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Emma Schleipfer 

Are you still developing the Smartermail module or is all focus been shifted to exchange/office 365?
    I ask because the Provider does not appears to have changed since SmarterMail 10.x

I have a suggestion for the future that would allow our smartermail clients to continue benefiting from changes in smartermail without us losing control over certain things like disk usage on the mail server.

Right now, we have two options:
    1. block the creation of domain admin users which is not good as clients cannot see reports for their mail domains or set domain level trusted senders/rules, etc…
    2. Allow the creation of admin users but then our clients add users via the smartermail interface even though we tell them not to. These users are not represented in the panel and disk space not counted during calculations as those are done at the email account level rather than mail domain.

I would like to propose a change where in MSPControl instead of creating email accounts/aliases/groups/etc… only the mail domain is added with the domain admin username which would be a username that the user chooses when creating the mail domain. When the mail domain is created, smartermail settings like mail domain max disk space/users/aliases would be set by mspcontrol instead of being inherited through the smartermail default settings, this way we can still control the number of users as well as other options.
    At this point anything else would be done via the smartermail interface, no users/accounts/groups/mail lists would be added/deleted via the control panel, that would all be done in smartermail. Smartermail also has a password reset feature so this would also no longer be needed in the panel. As for your disk calculations, you would get the mail domain total and report that rather than individually counting each email account’s disk space.

The benefit of this would be that customers would now be able to have an admin account without us losing control over what they create in smartermail.
    The second benefit is this seriously reduces how much code would have to be changed in MSPcontrol if there were to be a significant change in the SmarterMail API. This would be a lot less maintenance of that module.

Thoughts?

Be the first one to like this.
    Please wait...
     Thomas 

Emma,

I am a SmarterTools user as well. I haven’t seen any updates to the modules in quite some time.

(most likely would break them anyway)

The progression of releases of the applications and the module updates are not the same by any means. I would venture to say that the do not have any SmarterTools resources anymore. If you look at the ChangeLog the primary focus is on Office 365. And little to no focus on anything else. I know that 16.x + is a totally new interface and the back end API has changed greatly. I missed the upgrade window because the console doen’t support it directly. Or at least it didn’t when it was released. Even though the beta was available to a length of time that something could have been available at release. Many new options, old options changed or removed. But nothing from mspControl. If you want finite control over SmarterTools applications I would say don’t offer them as a hosted package, but rather manage them manually, similar to what you already are leading to in your post.

Please wait...
     Emma Schleipfer 

If you want finite control over SmarterTools applications I would say don’t offer them as a hosted package, but rather manage them manually, similar to what you already are leading to in your post.
    > Unfortunately that would not work for us, most of our clients are resellers and manually managing this would be a support nightmare, we definitely still need the ability to give our customers access to create mail domains themselves.
    I’ll update if I find a viable alternative to manage smartermail accounts.

Please wait...
     MSPControl 
    Keymaster

We will look into this, we actually do use Smartermail. These are good suggestions. Thomas doesn’t have any facts, we’ve made several changes like including DKIM support and SPAM Experts Integration. We added Domain Quota as well. I will add these items to our task list.

Please wait...
     MSPControl 
    Keymaster

thinking more about your proposal, how do you deal with more than 1 mail domain?

Please wait...
     Emma Schleipfer 

MSPControl, thanks for your response!

To deal with more than 1 mail domain, I would think you would apply the same resource limits for all the mail domains within the same plan/space. If a user wants one of his domains to have different resources limit, they would create a sub-account with a different plan.

Example: I’m the host, my plan A comes with 5 domains/websites/mail domains,  10 email users, 2GB mail domain disk space limit, unlimited aliases/mail lists/etc…. This would mean all 5 mail domains that can be created would be created with those specific resource limits in smartermail. At the time of the mail domain creation, the user would be prompted to select a domain admin user which could be a different username for each domain.

In the panel they would see mail domains and the associated mail domain admin user@domain.com with a link to the smartermail interface (I wouldn’t even bother with an auto login as that would require the password to be kept synced and smartermail now has password retrieval options).
    In the disk usage reports, add-in the total mail domain usage for all the mail domains added in the account. User can check per user usage within smartermail interface.

We also went a different route and suggested to smartertools that they add admin roles, see this post:
    https://portal.smartertools.com/community/a90927/domain-admin-roles.aspx
    That would also solve the issue we are facing from the smartermail perspective instead from the panel.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss further, I would be happy to!

Please wait...
     MSPControl 
    Keymaster

Let me ask an Alternate Question. What features would be needed in MSPControl so that users don’t need to go into Smartermail Admin?

Please wait...
     Emma Schleipfer 

Sure, the big ones for us would be:

-Setting domain wide content filtering and trusted domains and senders
    -Checking disk usage breakdown per user
    -Setting a forwarding address (with delete on forward) for the system.domain.admin user so that the user that manages the domain gets the smartermail email notices concerning disk space usage, etc… I Would suggest this be asked when creating the mail domain and calling it something like “notification email address”
    -Getting rid of groups as that is just confusing for the users and just another resource type to content with. There is no differentiation in smartermail between an alias that sends to one account or to many, so there really is no reason for this.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please wait...
     MPG 

We are already working on this to let it work more with the API of smartermail.

Michel

Please wait...
    1 user thanked author for this post.
     Emma Schleipfer 

Awesome, I look forward to these updates/changes!

Thanks again

Please wait...
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2018 MSPControl | Privacy Policy

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account