This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MSPControl 3 months ago.

• Author
     Thomas 

I am looking for alternatives to MSPControl. I know that SolidCP is another Website Panel clone and appears to be rather active with the community. However I am not fully on board with moving to yet another WSP clone having now been burned twice from this software. I have a small list of questions and would like to hear from you the general public.

• What else is out there to work with?
    • What testing if any have you done with this software?
    • What is the pay structure of the software? (Free Open Source / Paid per site / Paid per server etc..)
    • Should I drop Windows and move to Linux for hosting?
    • Why are you using MSPControl over that software listed above?
    Be the first one to like this.
    Please wait...
     Paul 

Hi Thomas

I once started to migrate to Solid and had problems with the UpdateDB script….However Trevor was FANTASTIC in helping me. Unfortunately, it all fell apart from there on (not their fault at all…just mine at this end)….also to be honest, due to a feeling of loyalty towards MSP….

I am currently spinning up a new VM or 2 to do a fresh install of Solid, in view to importing my resources in.
    Im not of the belief that using a MSP doctored database starts with a good foundation.
    It will create a lot of work, but I would sooner have a supportable foundation for those guys when something possibly goes wrong….ie could it be a hangover from MSP???

I fully expect that our posts may be censored, but judging by the lack of responses or activity, maybe not.

Please wait...
     Thomas 

I agree, I am sure these will be deleted or censored in some fashion. But if history proves itself these posts will go untouched and unheard. However this topic was opened in the general section and should be discussed. What do they have to hide? This post could lead to why mspControl is better than whatever else is out there.

I did a clean install of SolidCP on Server 2016 a few month ago and had issues getting it to run from the get go. However after playing with that and then going back to mspControl the same issue (don’t recall exactly what the issue was) affected mspControl as well. It was enough of an issue that it prevented me from moving that direction. Come to think of it, it might have been a Microsoft issue ( update or patch ) I was having issues with more than the install itself. I think I will spin up a new VM and do a bit of testing again and see what I can come up with.

Please wait...
     Paul 

I have installed successfully, but due to slight differences and my brain working the way MSP works, I have just asked a question in their forum as I dont understand how the LetsEncrypt Certificates are renewed.

If you were ultimately to go this route, would you do a migration, or would you consider a fresh install and import your resources over? Currently, Im favouring a fresh install, but it will create so much work, that I just cant make my mind up.

Please wait...
     Thomas 

If I was to do a migration I would absolutely do a fresh clean install. I would not want anything that would introduce a question into the solution. For example, Is this not working because of something MSPControl did. If it is a fresh install and something is wrong then I 100% know its that other solutions issue.

Please wait...
     Mike 

Hi Thomas, Paul.
    Firstly I am not sure about an alternative, but SOLID also gave me issues when converting and just gave up…
    I suspect you are right about the clean install.

Secondly I would also just like to express my disappointment in MSPC!!!
    We migrated to and initially thought that this would be the future… Stable, paid for but working most of the time!
    Event went with the fully paid support option but the response was not great…
    When I started pushing these guys the basically said that I should rather get another panel. (I promise!)

Ok so I also hope that ‘they’ see this and start getting urgent issues resolved.
    You will see that on my other posts, the actual deletion of a package gives me an error now, after upgrading this week.
    We cannot remove spaces, so clients will be invoiced incorrectly if this is not resolved.
    This is a huge issue!

Lastly I love MSPC, being a .net developer… hence why I am staying for a little while longer at least.
    Next stop Linux!!!

1 person likes this.
    Please wait...
     Mike 

Hi Thomas, Paul.

Just some feedback…
    I know we always tend to mostly complain about things, so I thought I would do the opposite for a change.

Denis, Alex, EVG and other MSPControl members assisted in resolving all my issues!
    I have a support option with them, perhaps this is something that you guys can consider, since this takes care of issues faster and frankly considering the product, it is a good deal!

So thanks to MSPC team. You have turned me back from the dark side for now!

Mike

1 person likes this.
    Please wait...
    1 user thanked author for this post.
     Thomas 

Hello Mike,

I fully agree that we as a community tend to “complain” about things. I personally have slowly grown to become that way with this product over the last year. It is only because of the lack of direction, personal responsibility or consideration of their target audience that I have started to become that way.

When I was looking for a solution to move away from Website Panel to something that was being actively worked on I looked at the only two options I could find. SolidCP and MSPControl. Both are clones of the original product and over time I read that MSPControl was a rebranded Website Panel, just with a support model. I don’t recall the source I found that on and I don’t know this to be fact but felt strong enough that I made my decision to go the MSPControl direction because they were in fact not just an open source application. But a paid for solution that I could grow into. There was a little less of a chance of this application just disappearing like Website Panel did.

I believe in this product that is why I get so upset with the company when they release updates without testing or any sort of quality assurance done. Then the software breaks and nothing is done about the issues. The software is structured in a fashion that the free version supports a good percentage of my current clientele. I am trying to grow that to becoming more and I need a product that is solid and can support what I ask of it. Currently depending on the day, MSPControl is that product. But often the software breaks and I am left explaining to my customers why something that was working is now not working. It reflects badly on me and my brand when the software I use stops working with no hope in site to getting the issue resolved. I would venture to say that others are in the same boat.

If you tell me that when I configure Cloud Folders that I can then provide that to my customers as a service, I would expect that to work. I have for the last 5 months been reporting that the Personal Folders have been broken. I see in the Change Log that someone is actively working of fixing something with Personal Folders. But nothing is done to address the issues I am having. And thus, providing this as a service to my customers is pointless as it does not work as intended. I can’t believe that no one else is having this issue? Is there anyone out there that has Cloud Folders configured and are using personal folders? Is this something that I really shouldn’t be offering my customers? If so why is Microsoft so aimed at making a Cloud solution (OneDrive) an option for its customers? Am I the only one doing this? I wouldn’t know, the team does not monitor or respond to the forums that they provide to use the community that uses their software. Nor do they respond to BUG reports.

Where is the documentation to support their software? Yes, they have some… However, it is outdated and incomplete. Maybe I have configured the software incorrectly. I wouldn’t know, there is no qualified documentation to support the software. Then we are stuck opening tickets and posting pointless forum posts that only other customers answer. I try to respond if I can to people if I think I can assist. Maybe once I responded just because I know having your question out there and no one responding seems hopeless. Yes, I have seen your post. No sorry I can’t help you.

OK, this post is starting to get away from the original intended post. I didn’t create this post as a poor me post. But rather to find solutions. Ones that will provide answers or open your eyes to current or better solutions out there. Thank you for your response and I look forward to finding a solid solution that we the community can feel confident in standing behind. Albeit MSPControl or something else.

Please wait...
     MSPControl 
    Keymaster

@tom-knapp the reason you had problems with personal folders was because it was a work in progress – Virtuworks found the need to create them so we did – we spent the last 6 months developing it and working out all the bugs.

At this point I believe Personal Folders is a stable feature. You need to be using the latest Windows Agent 1.5.101+ to assure that you have the latest agent code for mapping them properly on remote devices (Unless you are doing it manually). Windows Agent is at a very stable point as well now.

In the Cloud Folder space, the next items I will be tackling are:

1. Moving Office Web App to use Office Online
    2. Adding Archiving Abilities on user deletion to Personal Folders
    3. Ability to Share Personal Folders with other users in the same org.
    4. Ability to Add Permissions for users in Other Orgs (We will begin to allow cross Org Rights assignments with an Org Connection Feature.

These should all be coming over the next 60 days they are on my short term dev plan.

Again guys, sorry for the lack of communication at least from me – just been wrapped up in a lot of things and coming out here to get yelled at is not what I wake up in the morning to do.

@tom-knapp I would recommend a paid subscription as Mike states, we pay attention and deal with people’s problems when we are engaged.

Please wait...
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2018 MSPControl | Privacy Policy

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account